Thursday, September 13, 2007

Thing #20: Podcasts

Searching "libraries" on Podcast.net brought up "The Library Channel" by Arizona State University Libraries. I found the podcasts dull... the special collections curator talking about an exhibit (which the listener can't see, of course)... announcements about library closures (useful)... lectures about improving library services... I guess some people would prefer to listen to this material, but I would prefer having it as a paper to read and annotate. (How many people subscribe to our UCSC Library's podcast feed?)

The toast needs butter and jam.

The best podcasts imho are the ones that work like radio, whether news (such as NPR's Science Friday) or entertainment (such as Old Time Radio). Also, like YackPack and video conferencing, podcasting would be useful for distance education.

I subscribed to an NPR podcast feed; it shows up in my iTunes and on Bloglines.

No comments: