Thursday, September 6, 2007

Thing #15: Custom Search Engines

Although Rollyo looks easy enough to use, since I already have a Google account, I'm going to go with Google. Besides, since we all will be assimilated to Google eventually (sooner rather than later, I'm guessing), resistance is futile.

My custom "Museum Collections Search Engine" comes up with mixed results. A search on "Bosch" brings up many listings, but not the one I want, from the Louvre database, here. Perhaps the search engines do not crawl around in that database?

The Met, the Cleveland Museum of Art, LACMA, the Tate, and the British Museum, among others, do show up in results.

CSEs would be most useful for searching news sites and blogs, I think, and also reference sites: the Library's subject guides could include CSEs.

Action: talk to Kathleen about adding a CSE to the VRC's Digital Image Resources webpage.

No comments: